Parent Earth Expert Latham Thomas, a nutritionist, shares tips to turn a potentially stressful errand – shopping with kids — into a fun activity with your child. She shops for food with her 6 year old son, Fulano. This is a great video to watch with your kids before shopping together and it shows that local food can be affordable.
- Encourage your child to interact with the vendors.
- Your child will want to explore, so be flexible and curious and open to trying new foods.
- Give your child a job, by having them help make decisions on which foods to buy.
- Encourage your child to taste, touch and smell the food.
- Summarize what you bought with your child. This will give them a sense of accomplishment.
She bought everything for under twenty dollars, for three dishes plus leftovers. See our follow-up video where Latham and her son cook a meal together.