Food is often wrapped in plastic and bagged in plastic and when you throw it out, it ends up in the ground or water (if you don’t recycle it) leaching toxins into our food system. Some say it is better to live without it, but how?
One woman has created a video blog called Fake Plastic Fish chronicling her journey trying to live without plastic. She ended up with a small box of plastic including, medicine bottles, labels and toothpaste tube covers. This video is a tour of what was in the box!
Some of Fake Plastic Fish’s Tips to Reducing Your Plastic Use:
- Carry reusable shopping bags
- Give up bottled water
- Shop at the farmers market
- Say no to produce bags
- Buy from bulk bins whenever possible
- Cut out sodas, juices and all other plastic-bottled beverages
- Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags
- Brink your own container for meat, prepared foods, and take out
- Give up chewing gum (Did you know almost all chewing gum is made with plastic? Read more about plastic in chewing gum here)
- Carry a stainless steal mug at all times
- Compost food waste to reduce plastic garbage bags
- Use bar soap instead of liquid soapv
- Acquire necessary plastic items from second-hand stores, Freecycle, Craigslist or borrow.
Take Action: Take the plastic challenge